This Easy Spiced Chicken Salad with Brown Rice recipe couldn’t have come at a better time.
Let me back up: we got a meal delivery service. It’s pretty cool. We get all the ingredients for 3 meals per week delivered to our door. The food is really, really yummy. And I like it because it’s pretty close to restaurant quality.
Think: Chicken Tacos with Pickled Pineapple and Blue Corn Tortillas, Fennel Crusted Salmon Bucatini with Baby Spinach and Peanut Butter Dumplings with Sesame Green Beans.
So of course it’s more expensive than buying the actual groceries, it saves us from eating out (why eat out when I can make this? See examples above.)
So naturally I’m gonna get some recipe inspiration from all this delicious food coming into our house.
Case in point: this Easy Spiced Chicken Salad with Brown Rice.
It was inspired by a recipe we had a few weeks ago, which was Spiced Chicken with Bell Pepper and Cucumber Couscous Salad.
I love this salad because it’s filling, full of healthy carbs, fibre, protein and antioxidants.
Plus the mint and lemon zest give it a real summery feel and delicious taste.
It’s easy enough to put together on a weeknight, especially if you use brown rice from a weekend food prep session (I’ll often do brown rice and some veggies, boiled eggs and muffins.)
See below for a pic of a typical food prep – sometimes the easiest things, like chopping some veggies and making some muffins – make the week a whole heck of a lot easier (and healthier!)
An awesome addition to a prediabetes reversal plan if I ever did make one 😉
This Easy Spiced Chicken Salad with Brown Rice is an awesome addition to a prediabetes reversal plan if I ever did make one 😉
I hope you give it a try and love it as much as we did!
- 2 chicken breasts
- Spice mix for chicken (I like ClubHouse's "La Grille" Chicken seasoning or use your favourite dried vegetables seasoning)
- Olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 green onions
- 1 lemon
- 1 red pepper
- 3 mini cucumbers
- 3 tbsp Fresh mint, chopped
- About 4 cups cooked brown rice
- 1. Cook the rice according to package instructions
- 2. While the rice cooks, cut the chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces. Cover with spice mix, turning in spice mix to coat chicken pieces. In a medium pan, heat a drizzle of olive oil on medium heat and cook the chicken until done (internal temperature of 165 degrees F.)
- 3. While the chicken cooks, thinly slice the green onions and separate the white parts from the green tops. Dice the min cucumbers and red pepper. Roughly chop the mint leaves.
- 4. For the dressing, combine 1 clove of garlic, the white bottoms of the green onions, fresh lemon juice, mint and 3 tbsp of olive oil. Whisk until combined.
- 5. To serve the disk, spread the rice out over a large platter, add the cucumbers, red peppers, green onions and drizzle with the dressing. Place the chicken on top of the veggies and rice.
- 6. Finish with some lemon zest and fresh ground pepper to taste.
- Leftovers are great the next day!