This Moroccan-Spiced Black Bean Salad is super filling and delish.
And who doesn’t love a good “meal salad”?
That is, everything you need in one massive salad: healthy carbs, protein, veggies and healthy fats. Loooove it.
Not to mention the convenience factor score for this one – I love having everything I need in one dish. A solid 10/1o for sure.
This is one of those recipes that you can easily swap out ingredients for what you have around.
Not feeling the rice? Grab some barely. No cucumbers? An orange pepper will do.
In fact, a solid outline for any meal salad is:
Grain (rice, barley, couscous)
+ Protein (beans, chickpeas, chicken, tofu, etc)
+ Veggies (go crazy)
+ Nuts or cheese or avocado
This base can literally give you a bazillion options!
For dressing, I always keep it simple. No time for fussy stuff here.
This one is simply extra virgin olive oil + fresh lime juice + cumin + ground coriander + salt and pepper.
Really lovin’ the lime + cumin + coriander combo lately…
Added some fresh cilantro and tried it on BBQ’d corn – so good!
Of course the nutritional powerhouses in this recipe are perfect for prediabetes reversal too:
- High-fibre and healthy carb black beans
- Antioxidant-loaded, brightly coloured veggies
- Unsaturated fat almonds for heart health
And this new food prop platter from Value Village doesn’t take a bad picture. I love it!
Too bad I can’t put all my recipes on it…that would get kinda boring after a while. I will strive not to be a “once trick pony”
Well, enjoy the salad 🙂
Let me know if you make it and how you have it ie as “the meal” or maybe as a side.
I think it’ll be a perfect go-to picnic friendly dish this summer – and summer is finally here!
- 1.5 cups of cooked rice
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Fesh lime juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp each of cumin and ground coriander
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. Cook rice according to package instructions. When done, remove from heat to cool
- 2. Meanwhile, whisk dressing ingredients together and set aside
- 3. Toast slivered almonds in a hot pan for a 3-5 minutes or until browned. Set aside to cool
- 3. Combine chopped cucumbers, tomatoes, cooled rice and black beans in a large bowl. Pour dressing over top and turn over a few times until just combined. Top with slivered almonds.
- 4. Serve immediately
- Makes great leftovers except for the almonds will get soft. Leave those out if going to make this ahead a day or two and add the almonds just before serving.