I’ve always wanted to make raw, no-bake energy bites or protein balls. They looks so delish and can be made from some pretty nutritious ingredients – ground flax, nut butters, chia seeds, protein powder, pumpkin seeds, etc.
So I’m on a quest to find at least a couple easy recipes that can go into the repertoire.
I hit the Bulk Barn (naturally) to pick up what I’d need. Here’s what I got:
– Almond Butter (grind your own at my local Bulk Barn! So cool! And fun)
– Crunchy Natural Peanut butter
– Rolled Oats
– Ground Flax Seed
– Unsweetened Coconut Flakes
– Toasted, Unsalted Pumpkin Seeds
– Ground Almonds
– Whey Protein Powder
– Organic Raw Cacao Nibs
– Chia Seeds
(The dietitian in me wants to tell you what is awesome about the powerhouse ingredients here but will save that for another time).
Now, I wonder how many varieties of protein balls or no-bake energy bites I could make from all this!? (I also have coconut oil at home which I’d love to try in anything).
I want to start nice and easy – no food processor please – just combine em’, form em’ and done.
I was inspired by a recipe from Eat, Drink, Love and it looks perfect to start off (and incorporates the coconut oil I’ve wanted to try).
I adapted it somewhat – put in what you like! Energy bites are very open to experimentation (even the duds will likely be somewhat yummy!)
I call these ones: No-Bake Energy Bites with Almond Butter.
Warning! Recipe calls for “melted” coconut oil. Given the very low smoke point of this oil, a short zap on 60% power in the microwave was more than fine to melt it.
Before it’s all gummed up together:
All ready for the fridge:
After 30 minutes of cooling in the fridge, I rolled them up and volia! Energy bites
These are totally a keeper! I made another batch the very next day (pic of them is the featured pic).
A note on “rolling”…I really mean I sort of smashed them between my hands and formed them into balls. They didn’t roll between my mits like cookie dough would.
Let me know if they last more than 48 hours in your house….mine didn’t 😉
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup natural almond butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tbs. melted coconut oil
- 1 tbs. chia seeds
- 2 tbs. flax seed meal
- 3 tbs. organic raw cacao nibs
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, mix together all of the ingredients until well-combined. Cover and refrigerate the mixture for about 30 minutes.
- Using a melon baller to scoop them up (or your finger tips!), roll the mixture into balls. Mine were about 1/2 inch in diameter, which gives me about 20 bites.
- Place the bites into an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for about 1 week (or in reality, for about 2 days because they’ll be devoured.)
- Don't skip the time in the fridge! Makes for easier bite-forming.