How can something that has chocolate and peanut butter be healthy?!
That’s what I used to think.
But I have seen the light!
This Simple Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie packs some serious nutrition and yes, it’s deeeelicious.
The modifications you could make are endless:
- Use any kind of milk you like (I prefer unsweetened almond milk myself because it packs the calcium without the lowest amount of calories
- Add protein power to boost the protein (one downside of almond milk: less protein than cow’s)
- Use any kind of nut butter you like! Definitely go for the natural nut butters if you haven’t switched over yet
And the cocao powder?
That’s a whole ‘nother nutritional powerhouse!
It contains sever minerals including:
- Flavanoids – disease-fighting compounds naturally found in foods
And yes, caffeine!
But you’d have to have 100 grams (3.5 oz) of the stuff to get 230 mg of caffeine.
So you’re not getting a lot of caffeine in 1 tsp but if you’re really sensitive to caffeine, you may notice a helpful little boost after having this smoothie.
You can use this Simple Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie for a breakfast as you fly out the door or an after workout, re-fueling snack.
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tsp cocoa
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp peanut butter
- 1 frozen banana
- Blend all ingredients together until smooth.
- Serve immediately.
- If you don't have a frozen banana, use a fresh one and blend in a few ice cubes to make it thick.
- You can use any type of milk you like instead of unsweetened almond milk.
- Optional: 1 Tbsp unsweetened protein powder