Here is one of my favourite recipes: Simple Haddock Quesadillas!
Who doesn’t love food wrapped in a tortilla shell after all?
It’s like biting into a present.
This recipe is also a great way to get in the 2-3 servings of fish a week that is recommended for everyone (yes, that includes pregnant women and children as well.)
I tend to gravitate towards fish tacos when eating out and this take on one of my favourite staples is a real hit in my house.
Ok, the kids are crazy about it at this stage but hubby loves ’em 🙂
I think I might try salmon next time – just for something different.
Either way, it’s allllll about the toppings.
Gotta have the cilantro (love that stuff), smashed avocado, fresh green onions and fresh salsa.
Like it hot?
Grab that chipotle and pile it on 🙂
- Frozen fish fillets (i.e. cod, haddock), thawed and patted down to remove excess water
- ½ cup Bread crumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 Tbsp parmesan cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Canola or olive oil
- 8 Whole wheat or corn tortillas, 6”
- 1 package, broccoli slaw
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 Red or yellow peppers, chopped finely
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 Avocado, smashed
- 3 green onions, chopped
- Cilantro, chopped
- Salsa or chipotle sauce
- Heat 1-2 tbsp vegetable oil in a non stick pan on med-high heat.
- In a flat Tupperware or plate, combine breadcrumbs, parmesan and salt and pepper. Dip fish fillets in egg wash and then in bread crumb mixture to coat all over.
- Then add fish to hot pan and let brown on each side (about 5 minutes each side). Fish should be opaque white in the centre. If using thicker pieces of fish, cover pan with a lid and let cook longer to cook through.
- Remove fish from pan.
- Place one tortilla in the heated non-stick pan.
- Spread layer of fish, shredded cheese, tomatoes, green onions peppers and broc slaw.
- Place another tortilla on top.
- Cook for a few minutes on low-medium heat.
- Carefully flip to toast the other side of the quesadilla.
- Heat for a few more minutes. Check if cheese has melted by carefully lifting one side of the tortilla. Once cheese is melted and tortillas are toasted, slide onto a platter and cut into triangles.
- Serve with lime wedges, smashed avocado, cilantro and salsa or chipotle sauce.