I think I’ll eat this salad every darn day.
I mean, look at it!
It’s so chock full of goodness, I can’t barely stand it 😉
Now the inspiration for this salad came from a recent event I attended in Toronto where I got to cook with a Chef; talk with a farmer; and learn from a dietitian researcher.
This evening was super cool because I got to talk to a farmer from Alberta, Canada: Jeanette Andrashewski – about farming canola and how much is exported and how she deals with the ups and downs of farming in general.
It sounds like such a supportive community and people really look out for each other.
So awesome 🙂
"We have about 1/32 of the earth's surface to farm on" ~Jeanette Andrashewski
Canola is such a fabulous oil and is great for Lovin’ Your Heart.
It has vitamin E and K and is has the lowest amount of saturated fat of all the oils.
And as I learned from our fabulous chef that night, it has a neutral flavour and light taste so it doesn’t over-power other ingredients but allows for the flavours of the food to shine through.
Maybe it because I grew up in Manitoba but I was always partial to canola oil for the health reasons and because it can really take the heat – great for BBQ’ing.
I also love that canola seed is grown by over 43,000 family famers on the Canadian Prairies!
So cool 🙂
Tip from Chef Alexandra - let the dressing sit on the kale for a few minutes to allow it break down a bit.
This Simple Kale Salad with Green Goddess dressing is my take on the salad of the evening.
And it’s perfect for Lovin’ Your Heart – canola-oil based salad dressing, avocado for more heart healthy fats and antioxidant rich kale and cranberries.
Here’s to our hearts!
May they keep ticking for many, many years to come.
- Kale about 8 cups, washed and chopped
- 2 sweet potatoes, chopped and roasted
- 1 cup edamame
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1 ripe avocado, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds or walnuts
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 tsp sugar
- Cayenne pepper (to taste)
- Dried rosemary (to taste)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- Garlic, crushed to taste
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp Greek yogurt
- Cilantro, to taste
- Wash and chop the sweet potato. Roast at 425F for about 10 minutes. Flip and roast for another 10 minutes or until soft and with dark brown spots.
- While sweet potatoes are roasting, combine canola oil, lime juice, and garlic in a mason jar and shake until combined. Then, add mustard, greek yogurt and cilantro and shake again to combine.
- Divide the kale into 4 bowls. Pour the dressing over the kale and let sit for about 20 minutes before serving to help it break down a little (thanks Chef!)
- In a small saute pan over medium heat, add the butter and sugar and stir until the butter is melted. Add the nuts you are using and toss until they begin to brown.
- Stir in the rosemary and cayenne and stir just a few seconds to release the aroma.
- Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Sprinkle the nuts on the kale salad while still warm.
- Then add the sweet potatoes, edamame, dried cranberries and avocado chunks to each bowl, dividing each topping between the 4 bowls.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Doesn't take as long as total time indicated if you have sweet potatoes already roasted.