Simple Sticky Chicken Thighs are in the house! And they’re so delicious.
I asked my mom for this recipe a few days ago so I could get this one in the books, officially speaking.
When I first moved to Toronto back in 2009, I had copied down my favourite recipes from my Mom’s collection on these white recipe cards. Some were getting so well worn, I could barely read them anymore. Some of the classics include: Ladies Home Journal Chocolate Chips Cookies…Layered Bean Dip…aaand Meatloaf 🙂 (no fancy name required.)
This recipe for Simple Sticky Chicken Thighs is a newer addition and I couldn’t wait to highlight it on the blog for you.
These Simple Sticky Chicken Thighs with Roasted Carrots is a take on a recipe that my Mom’s friend Lindsay shared with her.
It’s extra awesome because it’s a sheet pan meal (all-in-one) so there’s much less clean up and it’s great for leftovers too.
The last time I made it, I served it with peas (because Cameron LOVES them) and some brown rice.
Carrots do contain some healthy carbs but generally I recommend having a healthy carbohydrate (ie, grain or starchy veg) at the suppertime meal so that’s why I add the rice when I serve it.
Carrots are definitely part of your optimal diet to beat prediabetes!
If you wanted to go the starchy veg way and not have to make the rice separately, you could throw small chunks of roasted sweet potato on the pan or those small, colourful potatoes would work too.
Now, let’s just talk about carrots for a moment, shall we? Because carrots seem to get such a bad rap when it comes to “sugar” but they’re actually a nutritional powerhouse.
They provide a huge dose of vitamin A – one large carrot provides 200% of your daily requirement of vitamin A!
Plus, they have phytochemicals that act as antioxidants in the body. Often in prediabetes, there is some inflammation in the body. Think of it like stress on your cells. Antioxidants can help to fight this inflammation and decrease the damage on cells.
And to boot, carrots are economical (hello 10 lb bag for $1), easy to eat and prepare, and so versatile!
Oooh, that reminds me: my friend recently posted a breakfast “cookie” that was made with carrots. I’ll have to make it and post it here too. It sounded (and looked) so good!
I hope you love this Simple Sticky Chicken with Roasted Carrots recipe.
- 2 lbs (about 1 kg) of boneless skinless chicken thighs or about 12 small thighs
- 3 large carrots, peeled and sliced into rounds
- 1 medium sweet onion, roughly chopped
- Olive oil
- Fresh pepper
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- 2. Line a large sheet pan (or 2 cookie sheets) with parchment paper
- 3. Combine the ingredients for the "sticky sauce" in a bowl. Coat the chicken with the sauce in a large baking dish to marinade for 30 minutes or overnight. *If you don't have time to marinate the chicken, you can skip that step.
- 3. While the chicken marinates, place the carrots and onion on the baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Toss to coat.
- 4. Once the chicken is marinated, place each thigh on the baking sheet.
- 5. Cook in the pre-heated oven for 55-60 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 165 degrees F.
- I'll often serve with brown rice and a green veggie.