Holy macaroni, have I got a healthy muffin recipe for you!
These Whole Grain Zucchini Muffins with Dark Chocolate are simply amazing.
But first, a little background:
I used to eat CostCo muffins.
Like I’m talking huge, monster-sized, 700+ calorie muffins.
You know what I’m talking about.
I assume they’re still basically the same, but back when I ate them, they were so big and greasy.
They were more like a hunk of cake than anything else.
Now this was before I really started paying any attention whatsoever so what or why I was eating and how it was affecting me.
And to be fair, I was young.
You know how sometimes when you’re young, you can get away with things that you simply can’t get away with anymore?
And for a real dose of the straight-shooting truth: my whole diet was a wreck.
- I ate large Blizzards from Dairy Queen for lunch
- I had mostly candy for snacks
- Chicken nuggets and Pizza Pops were on regular rotation too
A far cry from “Whole Food Fueling”, the approach I take now.
For me, I ate what I wanted and didn’t really see a connection between how I felt and what I ate.
(Ah youth, right?)
Now, things are different.
In the past few years, I’ve really been exploring what it means to “fuel” as opposed to “diet”.
And what it means to feel my best, with tons of energy, as opposed to feeling exhausted all the time (raising toddlers notwithstanding.)
Maybe you can relate.
Maybe you want a lifestyle approach to prediabetes reversal – not a “superfood fix” or “magic pill manifestation”.
You want something that works.
Something that you can do for the rest of your life.
That’s where this concept of Whole Food Fueling I came up with really stems from.
Eating in a way to fuels you with the food your body requires to then give you the absolutely best possible results.
In particular, weight loss and prediabetes reversal.
When I stopped being afraid of carbs and used them to fuel me, I saw amazing results:
- My cravings went away
- My weight normalized easily
- I could more easily build muscle
Plus, I can now develop recipes with this in mind.
Whereas before, I was all about PROTEINPROTEINPROTEIN.
Now, please know, I’m not against protein!
On the contrary: it’s a key component of muscle building and weight loss.
But what I’ve learned is to let go of an over-emphasis on protein, because it was not needed.
I now, quite literally, have made peace with carbs.
I now use healthy carbs throughout my day as a way to provide sustained energy so I can do everything I need to do in my day.
And I teach my clients Whole Food Fueling with a focus on healthy carbs to get them the results they want, mainly reversal of prediabetes.
So back to these muffins….
As a great example of healthy carbs (and yes, chocolate!) I modified a recipe from Dietitians of Canada to come up with these Whole Grain Zucchini Muffins with Dark Chocolate.
They are a perfect snack to have between meals to keep you fueled up and satisfied until you eat again.
Healthy carb+protein snacks are an important part of losing weight and reversing prediabetes.
Remember: go for Whole Food Fueling as a way to get your body what it needs so you don’t take in anything you don’t want.
Your muffins just aren’t doing me any favours anymore.
I hope you enjoy these Whole Grain Zucchini Muffins with Dark Chocolate!
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup white flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 medium zucchini, shredded (about 1 cup)
- 3/4 cup apple sauce
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease 12 muffin cups or use paper or re-useable muffin cups.
- Combine flours, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, add grated zucchini, apple sauce, egg and vanilla. Stir until combined.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until combined. Do not over-mix (makes for a tough muffin!)
- Add chocolate chips and stir one last time.
- Divide mixture between 12 muffin cups.
- Bake in a preheated oven for about 20-23 minutes.
- Keep for up to 5 days in a sealed container.